Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Sacred Meditations Passage

We are now into Advent. Gerhard provides these thoughts on the coming of our Lord and His judgment:

Satan will accuse me, your friend. He will accuse me, your brother. He will accuse me, a most beloved son of the eternal Father. How will you then severely judge your friend, your brother, and your son? Moses will accuse me in that judgment. He will speak curses on me, “for I have not kept all which is written in the book of the law” (Deuteronomy 27:26). “Surely you, O Jesus, have become the curse for me to free me from the curse of the law” (Galatians 3:13). I will be cursed by Moses, but I will be blessed by you. Indeed, I long to hear that voice: “Come, blessed ones, inherit the kingdom of My Father” (Matthew 25:34). Moses will accuse me, yet you will surely not accuse me before the Father, for you intercede for me (Romans 8:34). Therefore, I do not fear the curse of Moses, for you have removed that handwriting which was against me (Colossians 2:14). Damned ones will accuse me and proclaim that I am guilty of the same punishment as them. I admit, O Lord Jesus, that punishable guilt unites me to them. But my acknowledgment of that punishable guilt and my knowledge of your saving work distinguish them from me. “Whoever hears your word and believes in him who sent you has eternal life and will not come into judgment” (John 5:24). I hear your word, Lord, and I believe in you with faith, albeit it languishing faith, yet faith nonetheless. I believe, Lord, but help my unbelief (Mark 9:24). I believe, Lord, but increase my faith (Luke 17:5). Although I may not be free from all the sins of the damned, yet from unbelief alone you will nevertheless free me, O Lord. All those accusers terrify me, but you, the Judge, encourage me.

The Father has handed over all judgment to you (John 5:22). He has placed everything in your hands (Matthew 11:27). In turn, however, he has handed you over for us all (Romans 8:32). Indeed, you have handed yourself over for the Church to sanctify and cleanse her, washing her with water and the Word (Ephesians 5:26). How will you then judge those severely for whom you have handed yourself over to death, even death on a cross (Philippians 2:8)? “You will not have hatred for your own flesh. We are members of your body, of your flesh and your bones” (Ephesians 5:29,30).

No comments: